The Monastery by Walter Scott
Set on the eve of the Protestant Reformation in Scotland, The Monastery is full of supernatural events, theological conflict and humour. Located in the lawless Scottish Borders, the novel depicts the monastery of Kennaquhair (a thinly disguised Melrose Abbey, whose ruins are still to be seen near Scott's own home at Abbotsford) on the verge of dissolution, and the fortunes of two brothers as they respond to a new social and religious order. Highlights of the narrative include a moving encounter between two representatives of opposing sides in the Reformation controversy who had been students together in less troubled times, and the final formal procession of the Kennaquhair monks as the Reformed forces arrive. A talking-point when the work was first published, the mysterious spectral White Lady, guardian of the magical Black Book, still intrigues readers. A strong comic element is provided by Sir Piercie Shafton with his absurd linguistic mannerisms fashionable at the English court.
- The Melrose Edition Waverley Novels Volume 10
- Publisher T C & E C Jack, Edinburgh; Undated c.1880
- Quarter Green Maroco Leather and Green Silk Covers with Gilt Titles and Decoration, Gilt Page Edges, 332 pp
- Lavishly illustrated (approx. 8 full page illustrations per volume) by a remarkable array of contemporary Scottish and British artists and illustrators
- Size 210 x 140mm, 600g
Condition: Good ' No Dust Jacket, Some Loss To Top Of Spine, Slight Foxing To Endpages, No Inscriptions, Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Top Quality Books – I always try to source the best to ensure you keep coming back to me.
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – "The books you want…from sellers you can trust", www.ioba.org