Impossible Journeys by Mathew Lyons
‘The thing is so difficult that it is not worthwhile attempting it. The thing is so difficult that I cannot help but attempt it.’ So said the Norwegian civil servant Salomon Andrée, who attempted to reach the North Pole in a hot air balloon in 1897. His words encapsulate the spirit of the explorers, travellers and dreamers whose unlikely adventures are told in this book. Before the modern age, the world was an unknown and mysterious place, and only the intrepid, the foolhardy or the mad would undertake a voyage of exploration. Impossible Journeys tells the stories of 24 of these journeys spanning 600 years from the Middle Ages to the Victorian era, which ‘whether in the planning, the execution or the outcome, were implausible or unlikely, if not wholly impossible’
Described by the author as a cross between The Canterbury Tales and Touching the Void, these tales encompass heroism, cowardice and foolhardiness, success and failure, drunken visions, tall tales and genuine world-changing discoveries.
- Folio Society First Impression
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 
- Quarter Blue Cloth Hardback, 222 pp
- Black and white illustrations.
- Size 220 x 170mm, 1kg
Condition: Brand New – Still In Original Unopened Cellophane Wrap
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.