Epics of The Middle Ages edited by Richard Barber
The great strength of the medieval epics is that, however superhuman the deeds of their champions, they were rooted in real events. Many, like The Song of Roland and William of Orange, were inspired by the exploits of Charlemagne's reign, centuries before; others were nearly contemporary: El Cid, the story of Rodrigo Diaz of Vivar, a noble knight caught up in the vicious struggle between Christians and Moors in Spain, was begun in 1140, only forty years after his death. Here are William the Conqueror, Godfrey of Boulogne, famed commander of the First Crusade, Robert the Bruce, fighter for Scottish independence and victor over the English at Bannockburn … historical figures, transmuted by the epics into the superheroes of legend. Told in simple and direct style, reflecting their knightly audience's desire for fame and fortune in a violent and glorious world, these are sweeping dramas, packed with sieges and campaigns, with liege lords and sworn foes, divided loyalties, dark treacheries and undying friendships.
Includes: The Song of Roland, The Song of William, Raoul of Cambrai, The Cid, The Deeds of the Norman People, The Bruce, and Godfrey of Boulogne.
- Folio Society First Impression No. 1252
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 2005
- Quarter Brown Leather Hardback, 665 pp
- Illustrations by John Vernon.
- Size 250 x 180mm, 2.4kg
Condition: Fine â€“ Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.