The Works of William Shakespeare The Cambridge Shakespeare
Edited By William Aldis Wright
Published by Macmillan and Co. London and New York
The Cambridge Shakespeare was published in nine volumes between 1863 and 1893. Its careful editorial principles, attractive page design and elegant typography have withstood the test of time. This text was based on a thorough collation of the four Folios and of all the Quarto editions of the separate plays, the base text being the 1623 Folio. The critical apparatus appears at the foot of the page, but for passages where the Quarto differs significantly the entire Quarto text appears in small type after the received text. Notes at the end of each play explain variants, emendations, and passages of unusual difficulty or interest. Grammar and metre were generally left unchanged by the editors, but punctuation was normalised and nineteenth-century orthography was adopted instead of the variable Elizabethan spelling. In a bold move for a Victorian edition, the editors restored various ‘profane’ expressions where metre or sense demanded it.
- Volume 1: The Tempest; The Two Gentlemen of Verona; The Merry Wives Of Windsor; Measure For Measure; The Comedy Of Errors
- Volume 2: Much Ado About Nothing; Love’s Labour’s Lost; A Midsummer Night’s Dream; The Merchant of Venice; As You Like It
- Volume 3: The Taming of the Shrew; All’s Well That Ends Well; Twelfth Night, or What You Will; The Winter’s Tale
- Volume 4: King John; King Richard II; King Henry IV, Part I; King Henry IV, Part II; King Henry V
- Volume 5: King Henry VI, Part I; King Henry VI, Part II; King Henry VI, Part III; King Richard III; King Henry VIII
- Volume 6: Troilus and Cressida; Coriolanus; Titus Andronicus; Romeo and Juliet
- Volume 7: Timon of Athens; Julius Caesar; Macbeth; Hamlet
- Volume 8: King Lear; Othello; Antony and Cleopatra; Cymbeline
- Volume 9: Pericles; Venus and Adonis; The Rape of Lucrece; Sonnets; A Lover’s Complaint; The Passionate Pilgrim; The Phoenix And Turtle. Also Reprints: The Merry Wives Of Windsor; The Chronicle Historie of Henry the Fift; The Firts Part of the Contention; The True Tragedie; Notes To The True Tragedie; Romeo and Juliet; Hamlet; Additions and Corrections.
The 9 Volume Cambridge Shakespeare can be found in Full Leather, Half Leather and Cloth Covers.
There was also available a 40 volume complete Limited Edition of 500 copies on hand made paper.
Browse My William Shakespeare Selection at www.hcbooksonline.com