The Tatler Aitken George 3 Vols Duckworth 1898-1899
Volumes 1-3 of 4 Volume Set
Volume 1 – Contains Frontis Plate of Richard Steele, 400pp, No. 1 Tuesday April 12, 1709 to No. 49 From Saturday July 30 to Tuesday August 2, 1709
Volume 2 – Contains Frontis Plate of Joseph Addison, 425pp, No. 50 Tuesday August 2, to Thursday August 4, 1709 to No. 114 From Thursday Dec 29 to Saturday Dec 31, 1709
Volume 3 – Contains Frontis Plate of Jonathan Swift, 410pp, No. 115 Saturday Dec 3 to Tuseday Jan 3, 1709-10 to No. 193 From Saturday July 1 to Tuesday July 4, 1710
News and gossip gleaned from London coffee houses by a 'reporter' based in the best known of these, became these articles in The Tatler, the British society magazine, focusing on the social trends amongst the very wealthy and aristocratic. The Tatler was founded by Richard Steele, Issac Bickerstaff, the pseudonym used by Richard Steele. It first appeared in London on Tuesday, April 12, 1709, with essays and commentary, influenced several generations of publications, becoming the most influential literary journal.
The Tatler was founded by Richard Steele in 1709, his idea being to publish three times a week the news and gossip heard in London coffeehouses, and to leave the subject of politics to the newspapers, while presenting Whiggish views and correcting middle-class manners. He was joined in the enterprise by Joseph Addison and occasionally by Jonathan Swift.
- Publisher, Duckworth & Co London; 1898
- Brown Cloth Hardback
- Tissue Protected Plates To Frontis
- Size 220 x 145 mm (2.5kg C312D1)
Condition: Very Good – No Dust Jackets, Some Rubbing To Edges and Spine, Inside Very Clean, Very Good Set
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – "The books you want…from sellers you can trust", www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund