The Seeing Stone by Kevin Crossley-Holland
The first part of ‘The Arthur Trilogy’. As the younger son in a medieval household, 13-year-old Arthur of Caldicot cannot inherit the estate so he spends his time practising swordplay, defending himself from the antagonism of his older brother Serle and waiting anxiously for the day his father will make him a squire. Then the mysterious Merlin gives him a polished obsidian stone, and in its ‘wolf-skull, moonbruise’ depths he sees the story of another Arthur, a boy like and yet unlike himself, a boy who, long ago, pulled a sword from a stone. For both, secrecy and violence are a part of their heritage, and as they reach the cusp of manhood they must unravel the complexities of the adult world to discover their own destinies. The Seeing Stone is a landmark of children’s fiction, interweaving a spellbinding retelling of the Arthurian myths with the parallel story of an ordinary boy who is destined for greatness. The bustle and clamour of life in a medieval manor is wonderfully evoked in Crossley-Holland’s vivid prose. Arthur’s world contains many pleasures, from the pageantry and games of Twelfth Night to the delicious black pudding made from the manor’s pig.
- Folio Society First Impression No.
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 2009
- Quarter Blue Cloth Hardback, 279 pp
- Illustrations by John Lawrence
- Size 235 x 170mm, 1.3kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.