The Holy Land Egypt and Nubia by David Roberts
David Roberts was the first British painter to make an artistic expedition to Egypt and the Holy Land. The result of his travels was a picturesque vision of the Near East that has been hugely influential ever since. In August 1838 Roberts travelled from London to Marseilles and on to Alexandria, where he began his journey up the Nile. He was awestruck by the landscape and sketched the wondrous sights of a region still little known to most Westerners, whether a group of crocodiles or architectural marvels such as the Temples of Karnak, the Pyramids of Gizeh or the city of Cairo. Roberts next set his sights on Palestine and the route across the Sinai Desert thought to have been taken by the Iraelites when they left Egypt for the Promised Land. Jerusalem in Holy Week was the memorable culmination to an extraordinary voyage, during which he had assenbled, as he put it, ‘one of the richest folios that ever left the East’. On his return from his travels, Roberts was elected a member of the Royal Academy.
First printed by the Folio Society in 2010 as a Limited Edition and reprinted in thei slightly smaller format in 2014.
1. Syria, Idumea and Arabia. 123 plates, portrait and map.
2. Egypt and Nubia. 124 plates and map.
- Folio Society First Impression
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 2014
- Red Cloth Hardback with Gilded Top Edgesand Ribbon Markers
- Superbly Illustrated by David Roberts
- Size 380 x 275mm, 6.8kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.
There are no reviews yet.