The Haunted Study by Peter Keating
A Social History of the English Novel, 1875-1914. Unlike most contemporary literary criticism, it looks on literacy activity as a process intimately connected to the workings of the society around it… Keating investigates not only what the literature of the late Victorian and Edwardian ages was, and the literary influences on it, but also who produced it, who published it, who bought it and who read it. This study aims to place English fiction in the context of a culture in the throes of dynamic change. The period that produced Trollope, Stevenson, Wilde, Henry James and Virginia Woolf also encompassed Rider Haggard, Conan Doyle, Ethel M.Dell, H.de Vere Stacpole, “Boys’ Own Paper” and the Religious Tract Society, and ran from the heyday of the triple-decker to the birth of the cheap reprint, and the commercial devices for selling books ran in harness with the developing profession of authorship.
- First Edition
- Publisher Secker & Warburg, London; 1989
- Hardback, 533 pp
- Size 241 x 160 mm
- ISBN 0-436-23248-0
- Weight 1.2 kg
Condition: Very Good – Good Unclipped Dust Jacket, No Inscriptions, Very Good Copy
5 GOOD REASONS TO BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Top Quality Books – I always try to source the best to ensure you keep coming back to me.
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org