The Great Shakespeare Fraud by Patricia Pierce
William Henry Ireland, only nineteen, perpetrated the greatest Shakespeare forgery ever attempted. As a result, his father was personally destroyed in a tale worthy of a Greek tragedy, when William, driven by a simple yearning for his father's love, inverted his father's great passion for Shakespeare to impale him on the great Shakespeare fraud. This tragicomedy drew in everyone from the Prince of Wales to the queen of the stage, Mrs Siddons, from the great scholar Edmund Malone to James Boswell, from Dr Johnson to the Duke of Clarence, from perhaps the most famous playwright of his day, Richard Brinsley Sheridan, who staged the supposed new play by Shakespeare's hand, to H.J. Pye, the Poet Laureate. But soon so many documents had been 'discovered' that William Henry was being closely interrogated, and the ensuing furore when the documents were finally discovered to be forgeries became a national scandal. His father alone refused to believe that his 'simpleton' son was capable of such duplicity, remaining convinced that the forgeries were genuine.
- Publisher Sutton Publishing Limited, Stroud; 2004
- Black Cloth Hardback with Gilt Titles, 273 pp
- Contains 16 illustrations and a map
- Size 220 x 140mm, 600g
- ISBN 0 7509 3393 3
Condition: Very Good – Very Good Unclipped Dust Jacket, No Inscriptions, Very Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – "The books you want…from sellers you can trust", www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund