The Forster-Cavafy Letters – Friends At A Slight Angle
The English novelist E M Forster and the Greek-Alexandrian poet C P Cavafy met when Forster was working for the Red Cross in Alexandria during the First World War. Their subsequent correspondence bears witness to a complex relationship and serves as a fascinating testament to Forster’s relentless determination to promote Cavafy by bringing out an English translation of his work. The story they tell involves a number of major twentieth-century literary personalities – Arnold Toynbee, T.S. Eliot, T.E. Lawrence, and Leonard Woolf all participated in Forster’s early translation project. Forster ultimately succeeded in launching Cavafy’s reputation in the English-speaking world, setting an important precedent for his present global literary fame.
Included are all extant letters, the earliest Cavafy translations by George Valassopoulo (incorporating Cavafy’s own authorial emendations), poems by E M Forster, archival photographs, and related letters.
- Publisher The American University in Cairo Press, Cairo; 2009
- Grey Cloth Hardback, 191 pp
- With b/w illustrations
- Size 235 x 155mm, 800g
- ISBN 9789774162572
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.