The Book Of The City Of Ladies by Christine de Pizan
The Book of the City of Ladies is framed as a ‘dream-vision’. In it, the narrator describes how she was sitting in her study reading The Lamentations of Matheolus, a 13th-century tirade against women and marriage. She is saddened by this depiction of women and falls into a trance. In this trance, three personified virtues – Reason, Rectitude and Justice – arrive and tell her that she has been chosen by God to set the record straight about women. They direct her to build a metaphorical city which will house a group of worthy heroines and protect women against attack. Christine constructs the city’s walls and towers as the three virtues teach her about the achievements of scholars, warriors and other great women throughout history, such that the Book itself becomes the fabled city. The text belongs to a genre of literature known as a ‘biographical catalogue’, which celebrates the lives of famous figures from history and mythology.
- Publisher Pan Books, London; 1982
- Paperback, 281 pp
- Size 200 x 130mm, 500g
- ISBN 0 330 28173 9
Condition: Very Good – No Inscriptions, Very Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.
There are no reviews yet.