The Angelic Avengers by Pierre Andrezel
The novel is set in England and France during the 1840s. Two young, innocent girls are, for different reasons, left homeless, but an elderly Scottish cleric and his wife invite them to live on their estate in France, apparently with the philanthropic intention of giving them an education. But the girls discover that, under cover of piety and idealism, the clergyman and his wife lure young girls into their snare and sell them to the white slave trade.
Karen Blixen (Out of Africa) did not consider The Angelic Avengers to be part of her serious writing. It was published under the pseudonym Pierre Andrézel on September 2 1944, during the German occupation of Denmark in the Second World War. Even though the press tried to make her acknowledge authorship of the book, she denied it – presumably because the novel could be read as an allegory of the relationship between the Danish people and the German occupying power.
- First English Edition
- Publisher Putnam & Co. Ltd., London; 1946
- Red Cloth Hardback, 303 pp
- Pictorial dustwrapper, by Michael Wickham
- Size 205 x 140mm, 600g
Condition: Good – Good Unclipped DJ, No Inscriptions, Slight Spotting To Page Edges, Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.