The Age of Gold by H W Brands
On 24 January 1848, the carpenter James Marshall noticed some sparkling flecks in a dry riverbed at Coloma, California. Having discovered, to his excited disbelief, that the shining nuggets were malleable, but not breakable, he approached his colleagues and uttered four words which would go down in history: ‘I have found it’. Marshall’s discovery of gold at Coloma on the American River, writes the distinguished historian H. W. Brands, was ‘one of those rare moments that divide human existence into before and after’. It triggered ‘the most astonishing mass movement of peoples since the Crusades’, as fortune-seekers from all over the world flocked to California; their journey ‘was the epic of the age, a saga of world history, an adventure on the largest scale’. The new state’s population boomed from 15,000 in 1848 to 250,000 four years later, while the Gold Rush inspired a new American dream: the ‘dream of instant wealth, won by audacity and good luck’.
‘The California Gold Rush and the New American Dream’. Punctuated by fascinating and rare contemporary photography, this account of the Gold Rush is a tapestry of smaller stories – the struggles and the triumphs of the men and women who risked everything to make their fortunes.
- Folio Society First Impression
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 
- Black Cloth Hardback, 584 pp
- With Black & White Plates Including Contemporary Photographs
- Size 240 x 165mm, 1.5kg
Condition: Brand New – Still In Original Unopened Cellophane Wrap
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.