Rural Rides by William Cobbett
Rural Rides in the Counties of Surrey, Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Somersetshire, Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, and Hertfordshire: With Economical and Political Observations Relative to Matters Applicable to, and Illustrated by, the State of those Counties Respectively. Rural Rides, is a classic portrait of rural life just before the industrial revolution. These ‘rides’ take Cobbett back to his roots at a wonderfully intimate and leisurely pace. He goes to Selborne in Hampshire, where a parson has recently been shot at, and Thursley in Surrey, where the entire parish is eagerly awaiting a fox-hunt, ‘as happy as if all were young and all just going to be married’. With a farmer’s insight, he notes the crops and the condition of the soil, and he is passionate about the condition of the poor and what he sees as the steady decline of rural life in the face of urban expansion. Though much of what he encountered has long vanished, many of Cobbett’s observations – on the losses made by farmers, the corruption of politicians and the devaluation of currency – strike a chord today.
- Folio Society First Impression
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 2010
- Cloth Bound Hardback, 502 pp
- Black & white illustrations by Joe McLaren.
- Size 240 x 160mm, 1.6kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.