Myths and Legends of India
Selected, retold, and introduced by William Radice. India has been a fertile source of myths, legends, fables and folk-tales for more than 3,000 years. Even today, in towns and villages across the sub-continent, large audiences gather to hear storytellers and holy men recite the ancient hymns of gods, heroes and warriors of the Rig Veda and the epic poetry of the Mahabharata. William Radice has drawn from Islamic, Christian, Hindu and Buddhust sources, and from Sanskrit as well as modern languages, for this specially commissioned collection. Beginning with the great myths of creation, Radice presents, concisely and accessibly, the stories of Indra, King of the Gods and slayer of the Drought Demon; Yarma, King of the Dead, whom the beautiful princess Savitri persuades to restore her husband Satyavan to lfe; the triad of deities Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma; and the tales of the Ramayana and Mahabharata that form the basis of the Hindu religion. By turns fantastical, romantic, humorous, erotic and wise, they offer a unique insight into the sacred beliefs of an entire civilisation.
- Folio Society Second Impression No. 1072
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 2003
- Bound in quarter dark blue leather, pale-green linen boards, 784 pp
- With plates showing traditional Indian art
- Size 255 x 180mm, 2.4kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.