King Lear The Letterpress Shakespeare
Since the First Folio in 1623 there have been countless editions of Shakespeare’s works. The Folio Society wanted to do something unprecedented: to design an edition so pure, so simple, that the beauty of the text could be fully appreciated – an edition that would be as timeless as the text itself. The starting point was the text. Rather than keep text and commentary together, they decided to put them into separate volumes. Out went the elements that clutter the page : footnotes and textual variants. All that was left was Shakespeare’s words. They decided to have the text printed by letterpress in 16-point Baskerville. The type is set in hot metal and impressed on thick, mould made paper. The margins are generous – over 6 centimetres – to allow the words room to breathe. The result is a simple, understated design that is a delight to read and a pleasure to hold.
Shakespeare’s play about a Scottish nobleman and his wife who murder their king for his throne, charts the extremes of ambition and guilt.
Complete in Solander Case with Commentary Volume (215 x 140mm) in burgundy cloth with gilt spine titles and a white label with black titles on the front cover.
- Folio Society Limited Edition No. 477 of 3750
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 2007
- Halfbound Goatskin Leather Hardback, 92pp, Commentary 249pp
- Size 355 x 260mm, 5.5kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.