The Lords of Holderness 1086-1260 Barbara English OUP 1979
Out of stock
The Lords of Holderness 1086-1260 by Barbara English
The Lords of Holderness 1086-1260. A Study in Feudal Society. This book is concerned with the counts of Aumale and the land of Holderness, a remote part of East Yorkshire which the counts held from about 1086 until 1260. Much has already been written of central government and of the greater fiefs of England such as Chester and Mowbray, but England also contained many smaller fiefs of which Holderness was one, and they too illustrate the history of England in the Middle Ages. There are certain aspects of the medieval history of Holderness that make it unusual: there is a remarkable quantity of surviving evidence, in the form of charters, estate records and a monastic chronicle, as well as central government records. The isolation of Holderness, very marked in the early middle ages, gives the subject a natural unity. The author is concerned with the counts themselves, where they came from and what parts they played in the national and international scene of that time. They were able to play their parts because they were the top of a pyramid of social and economic power. From their entourage an administrative system evolved, which can be seen developing in the twelfth century and becoming more elaborate and effective in the thirteenth. The basis of the counts’ power in Holderness was their tenure of all secular lands there, and also their tenure of a highly privileged liberty, connected with the wapaentake court of the area. The counts’ lands were held from them by enfeoffed knights, and below the knights came, as the base of the pyramid, the agricultural classes, whose lives and lands are described within the limits of the available evidence
- First Impression
- Publisher Oxford University Press for The Univesity of Hull, Oxford; 1979
- Red Buckram Hardback, 275 pp
- With b/w illustrations
- Size 225 x 145mm, 750g
- ISBN 0 19 713437 8
Condition: Very Good – Very Good Clipped Dust Jacket, No Inscriptions, Very Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.