The Life and Explorations of David Livingstone The Great Missionary Traveller
Early and in depth study of Livingstone's life, published shortly after his death. The compiler garnered information from a great number of sources, both published and unpublished and put them together in this attractive and readable format
After being ordained in 1840, the London Missionary Society assigned Livingstone to Kuruman, and on 8 December 1840 he sailed for South Africa. He made several long journeys northwards, and by June 1842 he was fluent in Setswana; he then worked at Kuruman as a preacher, doctor, builder, and printer, and also travelled northwards again. He made several journeys across Africa throughout his life, battling malaria and other setbacks. Livingstone became obsessed with tracing the Nile to its source, and pursued this quest to his death. In death Livingstone became a national hero. Missionaries soon began to realize Livingstone's vision of rivers and lakes as highways for the spiritual and social regeneration of Africa. His pioneering cartography of eastern Angola and what became Botswana, Zambia, and Malawi was but one facet of his skill as an amateur field-scientist in an age of growing specialization. Secular knowledge and material mastery were integral to his mission: the industrial revolution was part of a divine plan. Livingstone both embodied and transcended the nineteenth-century tension between religion and science, and it was this which accounted for the scale and complexity of his career in Africa.
- Publisher Adam & Co., London; c.1880
- Black Leather Hardback With Gilt Illustrations and Gilt Page Edges, 632pp
- Featuring a frontispiece and numerous further cromolithograph plates, as well as a colour map of South and Central Africa. With an additional colour illustrated title-page with vignette portrait of Livingstone.
- Size 310x250mm, 3.5kg
Condition: Very Good – Light Rubbing To Edges, No Inscriptions, Fine Copy.
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – "The books you want…from sellers you can trust", www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund