Journey To The Polar Sea by John Franklin 1819-1822
At The End Of The Napoleonic Wars In 1815, The British Admiralty Converted A Number Of Small, Sturdy Vessels For Exploration And Survey Duty. The Most Famous, And Ultimately Tragic, Exploration Of This Era Was John Franklin’s Journey Across Canada’s Polar Region Between 1819-22. On The Recommendation Of The Lord Commissioners Of The Admiralty, Franklin Was Handed The Task Of Determining The Latitudes And Longitudes Of The Poorly Chartered Northern Coasts Of The North American Continent, And Was To Erect “Conspicuous Marks At Places Where Ships Might Enter”. He Was Also To Measure Air Temperature Three Times A Day, And Record Any Other Meteorological Phenomenon Encountered. Assisted By A Small Team, Franklin Was Also To Sketch The Landscape, Anthropologically Study The Native Indians, And Record The Area’s Natural History. Sir John Franklin, FRGS (1786-1847) was a British Royal Navy officer and Arctic explorer who mapped almost two thirds of the northern coastline of North America. He first travelled to the Arctic in 1818 because of a command from David Buchan and became fascinated by it. In his last expedition, he disappeared while attempting to chart and navigate a section of the Northwest Passage in the Canadian Arctic. The entire crew perished from starvation, hypothermia, tuberculosis and exposure and the expedition s icebound ships were abandoned in desperation.
- Publisher Heron Books, London; 1970
- Navy Hardback, 434 pp
- With b/w illustrations
- Size 205 x 120mm, 750g
Condition: Good – Slight Foxing To Page Edges, No Inscriptions, Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.