Japan, Described and Illustrated by the Japanese
Classic reprint of the rare 19th century photographic work. This limited edition reprint features two volumes which reproduce all of the original photographs and includes a new introduction by David Perkins. Two folio volumes, in virtually new condition, unread and unused. One volume in red decorated cloth; one volume in black decorated cloth; both volumes in publisher’s slipcase. The books measure 420 x 310mm each. All edges gilt.
At the end of the 19th century, a craze for all things Japanese spread over the Western world. After two centuries of self-imposed seclusion, the country had begun to open up to outside eyes, and its art and craftwork were eagerly sought after by collectors and artists. In the 1890s, the J. B. Millet Company of Boston embarked upon an extraordinary venture: a complete pictorial record of the country, entitled Japan, Described and Illustrated by the Japanese. Japan is one of the most opulent photographic books ever produced. Over 250 hand-coloured photographs show buildings and landscapes – Mount Fuji seen from Kashiwabara, cherry blossoms at Koganei, temples, bamboo groves, rice fields and bridges – as well as Japan’s inhabitants, including street vendors, calligraphers, lantern-makers, farmers, schoolchildren, geishas and Buddhist monks. There is even a picture of an actor representing a samurai warrior. This reproduction, in two luxurious volumes, is the first time this landmark work has been reproduced in its entirety.
- Folio Society Limited Edition No. 911 of 980 available copies
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 2012
- Decorated Cloth Hardback, 616 pp
- Superbly Illustrated Throughout
- Size 420 x 310mm, 12.5kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.