In The Middle of the Wood A Novel by Iain Crichton Smith
In The Middle of the Wood A Novel by Iain Crichton Smith. In this story Iain Critchton Smith faces squarely the problems of a breakdown. Ralph Simmons is a writer living in a Scottish village. He flees his wife and home, but while he is waiting at the station for a train his wife finds him and persuades him to let her go with him. They stop in a hotel room in Glasgow, but his mind is full of suspicions and fancies such as his wife Linda is planning to have him killed. His frenzy escalates until, on the way home, he flees into 'the dark wood' and tries to end his life with an overdose of pills. The Yugoslav holiday, which precedes these events, provides the novel's centre, and helps to explain the breakdown. In the final chapters he is in a mental hospital, where he gradually learns about the fears and phobias of his fellow patients, he comes to understand himself and to achieve some kind of equilibrium.
- 1st edition
- Publisher Victor Gollancz Ltd , London; 1987
- Hardback, 186 pp
- Size 221 x 140mm, 550g
- ISBN 0-575-03967-1
Condition: Good – Good Unclipped Protected Dust Jacket,Couple of Library Stamps, Very Good Ex Library Copy
5 GOOD REASONS TO BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Top Quality Books – I always try to source the best to ensure you keep coming back to me.
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – "The books you want…from sellers you can trust"