Household Words Volume XVII From December 19 1857 to June 12 1858 Nos. 404 – 429 (including Christmas Number)
This volume contains the 1857 Christmas Number, The Perils of Certain English Prisoners, and Their Treasure in Women, Children, Silver and Jewels
Although novelist Charles Dickens regularly contributed to such periodicals as The Examiner and The Daily News, much of his journalistic writing first appeared in the organs he himself established, Household Words (1850-59) and All the Year Round (1859-70). For two years early in his career as a professional writer, Dickens had served as the editor of publisher Richard Bentley’s weekly magazine Bentley’s Miscellany, in which Dickens published stories, poems, sketches, and a complete novel, Oliver Twist (24 instalments, February 1837 through April 1839). However, he enjoyed the greatest freedom as editor and writer with the two later magazines.
Household Words was published every Wednesday from March 1850 to May 1859. Each number cost a mere tuppence, thereby ensuring a wide readership. Household Words was issued in weekly numbers, in “Monthly Parts”, and in bound volume form. The weekly parts were issued without wrappers. The monthly parts, price ninepence, containing four or five weekly numbers were issued with wrappers. The nineteen bound volumes each contained from twenty four to twenty six weekly numbers, thus extending over approximately six months. The half yearly volume was normally available within a week or two weeks after the publication of the last weekly number included in it. The bindings for these volumes vary considerably with brown, green, red or black cloth, the volumes were also available in marbled paper boards and half leather binding.
- Publisher Bradbury and Evans, London; 1858
- Half Leather Marbled Covered Boards Hardback, Gilt Titles, 620, 36 pp
- Size 235 x 155mm, 1.1kg
Condition: Good – No Dust Jacket, Rubbing To Edges, Front Hinge Starting To Crack, Light Foxing To Endleaves, No Inscriptions, Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
There are no reviews yet.