Household Words Compiled By Anne Lohri
Household Words: a weekly journal 1850-1859 conducted by Charles Dickens. Table of contents, list of contributors and their contributions based on the Household Words office book. Compiled by Anne Lohrli, complete with a Title Index and Table of Volumes, Numbers and Dates.
Household Words was an English weekly magazine edited by Charles Dickens in the 1850s. It took its name from the line in Shakespeare's Henry V: "Familiar in his mouth as household words." Household Words was published every Wednesday from March 1850 to May 1859. Each number cost a mere tuppence, thereby ensuring a wide readership. Theoretically, the paper championed the cause of the poor and working classes, but in fact addressed itself almost exclusively to the middle class. Only the name of Dickens, the journal's "conductor," appeared;. Articles were unsigned (although authors of serialized novels were identified) and, in spite of its regularly featuring an "advertiser," unillustrated. In order to boost slumping sales Dickens serialized his own novel, Hard Times, every week between April 1 and August 12, 1854. It had the desired effect more than doubling the journal's circulation. The journal contained a mixture of fiction and nonfiction. A large amount of the non-fiction dealt with the social issues of the time.
Thanks to the painstaking sleuthing of Anne Lohrli through the record of payments to contributors in the office book kept by subeditor William Henry Wills, we know precisely who wrote what over the journal's nine-year existence — and how much or little each was paid.
- Publisher University Of Toronto Press, Toronto; 1973
- Burgundy Cloth Hardback, 534 pp
- Single Frontis Plate
- Size 255 x 180mm, 1.4kg
- ISBN 0 8020 1912 9
Condition: Very Good – Good Unclipped Dust Jacket, No Inscriptions, Very Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – "The books you want…from sellers you can trust", www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund