The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon
A superb eight volume edition of Gibbons History of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, first published in 1776 with completion in 1788. Edited and with introduction by Betty Radice, the text used in this edition is reproduced from the Everyman Edition,1910, published by J M Dent and Son. Contents;
- Volume 1: The Turn of the Tide,
- Volume 2: Constantine and the Christian Empire,
- Volume 3: The Revival and Collapse of Paganism,
- Volume 4: The End of the Western Empire,
- Volume 5: Justinian and the Roman Law,
- Volume 6: Mohammed and the Rise of the Arabs,
- Volume 7: the Normans in Italy and the Crusades,
- Volume 8: the fall of Constantinople and the Papacy in Rome.
Edward Gibbon is the greatest of the historians of the Enlightenment, the only one of them who is still read not only as a stylist but also as a historian. Two centuries of massive scholarship and constant intellectual evolution have inevitably left many marks on Roman, Byzantine and even more on medieval European history; but it remains a remarkable fact that anyone who wishes to study the later Roman or Byzantine Empire will still find Gibbon’s Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire the best, as well as the most readable narrative of it. Gibbon is the first great historian of a remote past whom the work of later centuries has not driven from the field.
- Folio Society Eleventh Printing No. 825 (Reissue with a new binding).
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 2000
- Elephant Hide Paper Hardback with Gilt Titles and Decoration, 320, 348, 367, 394, 394, 377, 440, 363pp
- Illustrated throughout with maps to endpapers, b/w plates and maps
- Size 250 x 160mm, 9kg
Condition: Near Fine – Bump to Slipcase and Vol I Otherwise Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.