History Of England to the Death of William III by Lord Macaulay in 4 Volumes
A magnificent sweep of turbulent history! Macaulay, member of parliament and story teller supreme, takes you excitingly from scandals and power politics of the court of James II to life in the streets and taverns. From an age wrecked by war, when the Dutch fleet plundered the English fleet and the cannon roar filled London’s streets … to a world of spies who lurked in the coffee houses and the martyr death of Charles I.
Described by A.G. Dickens in his introduction as, ‘The Grandest Historical Work by any British author since Gibbon’. This history is fascinating not only for the turbulent time depicted but for Macaulay’s ebullient style and the controversy that later surrounded it. A strident believer in progress and in Whig politics, critics damned the work for its whiggish interpretation of history. Recent scholarship, however, suggests that there is not so much a liberal bias, rather it merely reflects the age, as J.W. Burrows argued: ‘If this was sectarian it was hardly, in any useful contemporary sense, polemically Whig; it is more like the sectarianism of English respectability.’
- Heirloom Edition
- Publisher Heron Books, London; 1967
- Burgundy Real Lambskin Hardback With Gilt Title And Decorations, Gilt Page Edges, Silk Moire Endpapers, 645, 589, 657, 556pp
- Size 210 x 130mm, 3.5kg
Condition: Very Good – No Inscriptions, Very Slight Rubbing To Corners, Very Good Very Clean Copies
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.