Guy Mannering by Walter Scott
Guy Mannering, or The Astrologer, first published in 1815, was Walter Scott's second novel. Guy Mannering only half-believes in his art, but does believe in the ability of his patriarchal power, wealth and social position to sort out social confusion. However he has to learn the limits of a nabob's authority in a society that (in the 1780s) is no longer a single hierarchy but has many subsets, each with its own laws ' gypsies, smugglers, Edinburgh lawyers, the Border store farmer, the traditional landowner. Guy Mannering is set at the time of the American Revolution, and represents a Scotland at once backward and advanced, patriarchal and commercial, traditional and modern, a country in very varied stages of progression.
- The Melrose Edition Waverley Novels Volume 2
- Publisher T C & E C Jack, Edinburgh; Undated c.1880
- Quarter Green Leather and Green Silk Covers with Gilt Titles and Decoration, Gilt Page Edges, 364 pp
- Lavishly illustrated (approx. 8 full page illustrations per volume) by a remarkable array of contemporary Scottish and British artists and illustrators
- Size 210 x 140mm, 650g
Condition: Good – No Dust Jacket, Some Fading To Spine, Slight Foxing To Endpages, No Inscriptions, Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Top Quality Books – I always try to source the best to ensure you keep coming back to me.
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – "The books you want…from sellers you can trust", www.ioba.org