Gargantua and Pantagruel
The Life of Gargantua and Pantagruel is a pentalogy of novels written in the 16th century by Francois Rabelais, which tells of the adventures of two giants, Gargantua and his son Pantagruel.The text is written in an amusing, extravagant, and satirical vein, and features much crudity, scatological humor, and violence.
The censors of the College de la Sorbonne stigmatized it as obscene, and in a social climate of increasing religious oppression, it was treated with suspicion, and contemporaries avoided mentioning it. According to Rabelais, the philosophy of his giant Pantagruel, “Pantagruelism”, is rooted in “a certain gaiety of mind pickled in the scorn of fortuitous things”.
Rabelais had studied Ancient Greek and he applied it in inventing hundreds of new words in the text, some of which became part of the French language.Wordplay and risque humor abound in his writing.
- Publisher Franklin Library; 1982
- Hardback Quarter Blue Leather over Cloth Boards , 713 pp
- Illustrations by Frank C. Pape
- Size 240mm x 170mm , 1.5kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.