Shakespeare’s Plays and Sonnets
Each play is prefaced with a brief introduction by Wells and a wood-engraved frontispiece by a different artist, typeset by Oxford University Press, printed with the title pages in red and black, cream endpapers, and bound by the Bath Press in quarter dark red buckram, paper boards with a pattern in gold by Anne Murray all contained in a dark blue six-volume slipcase, titled in gold ‘William Shakespeare The Complete Plays’ together with his facsimile signature in gilt. A fine bright clean set of Shakespeare’s complete plays. (Folio 50: No.624). Once the previous Folio edition of Shakespeare’s plays was complete (see Folio 50: No.407), the Society could concentrate on producing a new edition, based on a more authoritative text. The text chosen was that edited by Stanley Wells and others for the Oxford University Press and first published in 1986. The plays consists of:-
Vol I: Two Gentlemen of Verona; The Taming of the Shrew; Henry VI; Titus Andronicus;
Vol II: Richard III; The Comedy of Errors; Love’s Labour’s Lost; A Midsummer’s Night’s Dream; Romeo and Juliet; Richard II; King John;
Vol III: The Merchant of Venice; Henry IV; Merry Wives of Windsor; Much Ado About Nothing; Henry V; Julius Caesar;
Vol IV: As You Like It; Hamlet; Twelfth Night; Troilus and Cressida; Measure for Measure; Othello;
Vol V: All’s Well That Ends Well; Timon of Athens; King Lear; Macbeth; Anthony and Cleopatra; Pericles.
Vol IV: Coriolanus; The Winter’s Tale; Cymbeline; The Tempest; Henry VIII; Two Noble Kinsmen;
Shakespeare’s Sonnets 1989
Bonus Item… Shakespeare’s Life and World: Compiled and introduced by Katherine Duncan-Jones. The compiler has mingled “passages from Shakespeare’s own works with a wide variety of other material” in an “attempt to suggest the richness and diversity of Shakespeare’s worlds, worlds which were full of exuberance and mirth, yet also fragile and hazardous”. Biography of the life and times of Shakespeare, a wonderful evocation of the Elizabethan period.
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 1989-90
- Burgundy Cloth Hardback, [l, 585pp], [viii, 657pp], [viii, 640pp], [viii, 607pp], [viii, 653pp], [viii, 670pp]
- Wood-engraved frontispiece by a different artist to each volume
- Size 255 x 160mm, 225 x 155mm, 11.5kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund