Empires of the Ancient Near East
4 Volume Boxed Set – The Babylonians, The Egyptians, The Hittites, The Persians
The Babylonians by H W F Saggs: The Hanging Gardens and the tower of Babel have immortalised the city-state of Babylon. saggs takes us beyond the legends to trace the emergence of Somer, Agade and the Assyrian empire, describing laws and learning – including the earliest sustems of astronomy, astrology and mathematics – providing a privileged insight into one of antiquity’s most celebrated civilisations.
The Egyptians by Alan Gardiner: From the time of Herodotus, Europe has marvelled at the beauty and mystery of Egyptian civilisation. The Valley of the Kings, the Temple of Karnak and the Pyramids still hold us in awe. From the Old Kingdom through the Ramesside period to Egypt’s ebentual surrender to Persian rule, Gardiner’s account of this enthralling culture is both erudite and engaging.
The Hittities by O R Gurney: From the 15th to the 13th centuries BC the Hittites were a major force in the Near East. At its height their empire stretched across Anatolia and most of Syria, and their influence was felt far beyond. Through close analysis of cuneiform and heiroglyphic texts, Gurney is able to give us a detailed picture of their lifestyle, laws and customs as well as their military achievements.
The Persians By J M Cook: Persia was the first superpower of the ancient world, her empire stretchingfrom western Anatolia to Ethiopia. Cook describes the military strategies by which Persia assumed this position of unprecedented greatness and the administrative infrastructure by which she maintained it, up until the defeat of Darius III by Alexander the Great in 330 BC.
- Folio Society Fifth Printing No. 985
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 2001
- Buckram Hardback, 444, 479, 240, 374 pp
- Illustrated by Simon Noyes and Reginald Piggott
- Size 260 x 180mm, 5.5kg
Condition: Near Fine – Wear to Gold Blocking on Some of the Spines, Otherwise Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.