Edward Lear’s Complete Nonsense
Although he was at one time art master to Queen Victoria and his delicate watercolour landscapes and bird prints are still sought after, it is as the laureate of nonsense that Edward Lear is best remembered.
Shy in the company of adults, he began writing limericks to amuse the children of his patron, the Earl of Derby. It was for them that ‘The Owl and the Pussycat’, ‘The Jumblies’, ‘The Pobble Who Had No Toes’ and so many other immortal characters were invented. Travelling extensively in Europe and Asia, he wrote letters full of puns, absurd rhymes and comic drawings to his young friends. ‘Bosh,â€™ as Lear remarked, ‘requires a good deal of care,’ and he lavished it on his own creations.
This charming compendium features Learâ€™s original illustrations and is introduced by Quentin Blake
- Folio Society Seventh Printing (in a new binding) No.839
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 2012
- Red Cloth Hardback, 286 pp
- Illustrations by the author.
- Size 230 x 160mm, 1.kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.