Edward Gibbon’s Atlas of the World
A selection of maps that Gibbon will have drawn on when writing his works, with respective modern versions. Intro and commentary Felipe Fernandez-Armesto; modern maps and index gazetteer by Andrew Heritage and P J M Geelan.
“Gibbon loved maps and lived at a time when mapmaking was being transformed by a technical revolution. So rapid and far-reaching were the changes in progress in his day that in spite of his efforts to keep up with the latest advances in cartography, Gibbon was compelled to rely, in writing the Decline and Fall, on maps that were already out-of-date. Much of the great mental canvas of the old world, on which he depicted the movements of armies, people and trade, was painted onto backgrounds mapped in the early or mid-eighteenth century or even, in some cases, in the seventeenth. Some of the best maps in his own library were not acquired until the late 1780s, when his History was already complete, or nearly so . The most far-reaching changes in scientific cartography in his day came too late to influence the maps available to him. Yet – in his unremitting efforts to make sense of the bewildering peregrinations of the people he wrote about – in ill-chronicled journeys over little-known terrain – he probably became as well informed as almost any scholar of his age on the geography of the Eurasian landmass and northern Africa.”
- Folio Society First Impression No. 703
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 1991
- Blue Cloth Hardback, 116 pp
- Reproduction antique maps and other illustrations
- Size 350 x 260mm, 2.2kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.