The Earth An Intimate History by Richard Fortey
In his ‘Intimate History’, Richard Fortey unlocks the geological secrets of the earth – its origin and the constant processes that destroy and create it. His aim is to unite the natural and human history of particular places with the geological realities that underlie them. The Presentation volume for 2012.
In the vast scale of geological time, the whole history of man is no more than the blink of an eye. The discovery of that fact – uncomfortable as it may have made humans feel – was key to much of modern science from Darwin’s theory of evolution to predicting volcanic eruptions or the age of the earth. As the pioneers of geology in the 18th and 19th centuries refined their understanding, suddenly the landscape appeared in a new light. Whole continents had changed shape and rearranged themselves; the hills of Scotland were the eroded remains of mountains; the Himalayas revealed themselves as youthful, growing ranges; cliffs, ridges and even islands had been formed from the calcified remains of dead sea creatures; the sea-floor itself was constantly being recreated as lava welled up and cooled.
- Folio Society First Impression
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 2011
- Quarter Grey Buckram with Printed Paper Sides Hardback, 416 pp
- With 116 colour illustrations.
- Size 260 x 190mm, 2kg
Condition: Brand New – Still in Original Unopened Cellophane Wrap
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.