Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope
The second novel in Anthony Trollope’s series known as the “Chronicles of Barsetshire”. Among other things it satirises the then raging antipathy in the Church of England between High Church and Evangelical adherents. Barchester Towers, to which The Warden forms the prologue, is the story primarily of the contest between Mrs. Proudie, the Bishop’s wife, and Mr. Slope, his chaplain, for primacy in the diocese. As an incident in this battle the wardenship of Hiram’s Hospital was in question. Against the strenuous advice of his son-in-law Archdeacon Grantly, and following criticism of the administration of the hospital funds, Mr. Harding resigned as Warden. Mrs. Proudie and Mr. Slope united in warring against the high-church party that sought his reinstatement. Mr. Slope, without Mrs. Proudie’s knowledge, had rashly offered the wardenship to Mr. Quiverful, but, upon learning that Mr. Harding’s widowed daughter Eleanor Bold had an income of £1,200, with an eye to the widow’s favour he swung to the support of her father.
- Folio Society Second Edition First Impression No. 819
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 1995
- Series Bound Hardback, 476 pp
- With illustrations by Alexy Pendle
- Size 230 x 150mm, 1.16kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.