The Birds, The Frogs by Aristophanes
The Birds introduction by Dudley Fitts, transports the audience to the aerial country of Nephelococcygia (literally, Cloudcuckooland), where things are just as bad as in real life, and only appear funny because the play is neither a tragedy nor a work of philosophy, but a comedy.
The Frogs include: Translation from the Greek by William James Hickie, introduction by Gilbert Seldes. The play presents a ludicrous contest between the two in the underworld, where Bacchus, god of wine and revelry, has gone to seek out a good playwright. How do the frogs get into the act ? They are Aristophanes’ comic chorus, croaking like the noisy plebeians at the theater, hooting the performance.
- 100 Greatest Books Ever Written Collectors Edition
- Publisher Easton Press,Norwalk, Connecticut, USA; 1979
- Full Leather Hardback, Silk Moire Endpapers, Gilt Page Edges, Silk Ribbon, 52, 62pp
- The Birds illustrations by Marian Parry.
- The Frogs wood-engraving illustrations by John Austen.
- Size 285 x 200mm, 1.2kg
Condition: Fine – Superb Unmarked Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.