The Age Of Louis XIV by Voltaire, The Life Of Johnson by Boswell in 2 Volumes, and Life Of Nelson by Southey
The Age Of Louis XIV by Jean Francois Marie Arouet De Voltaire; Voltaire’s Louis XIV is perhaps the first example of modern history written in the modern way. He is concerned not only with the life story of his hero king, or indeed only with the story of France in the seventeenth century, but, as he asserts in his opening words, with the whole spirit of men in the most enlightened age the world has ever seen.
The Life Of Johnson by James Boswell in 2 Volumes; Celebrated for its intimacy and vividness, Boswell’s Life of Johnson is one of the best books in the world. Boswell learned a great deal about the art of biography from his subject, and brought to his task boundless curiosity, persistence, and zest. Boswell had been collecting material for this work since his first interview with Johnson in 1763, and was confident that his kind of biography, “which gives not only a History of Johnson’s visible progress through the world, and of his publications, but a view of his mind in his letters and conversations, is the most perfect that can be conceived, and will be more of a Life than any work that has ever yet appeared.”
Life Of Nelson by Robert Southey; Lord Nelson was, and still is, one of the most revered historical personages by the English people. He was known for his courage and selflessness; a telling and famous example of his bravery was when he was once severely wounded in battle, the ship’s surgeon immediately sought to attend to Nelson’s wounds. However, Nelson commanded that his injured men be taken care of first and declared, “I will take my turn with my brave fellows!” Southey immortalized Nelson even further as well as distinguishing himself in 1813 when he published his Life Of Nelson, his greatest prose work, shortly after being named Poet Laureate. The book quickly established itself as perhaps the best short, straightforward biography in the language.
- Publisher Heron Books, London; Undated ca.1970
- Brown Faux Leather Hardback With Gilt Title And Decorations, 638, 646, 475, 278pp
- Size 185 x 120mm, 2.2kg
Condition: Very Good – No Dust Jackets, No Inscriptions, Very Good Copies
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.