Adam Bede by George Eliot
The first novel written by George Eliot, the pen name of Mary Ann Evans. Published in 1859, it is set 60 years earlier in the fictional village of Hayslope, where a morally-upright carpenter named Adam Bede is in love with Hetty Sorrel, a pretty and self-absorbed dairymaid. When Hetty falls pregnant by the young squire of the village, she runs away, gives birth in secret and kills her baby. She is sent to prison and sentenced to death. It falls to her cousin, the Methodist preacher Dinah Morris, to impress upon her the gravity of her situation and turn her mind to repentance. Meanwhile Adam, shocked by Hetty’s crime and by the discovery of her relationship with the squire, has to reassess his rigid views of morality.
- Publisher Heron Books, London; 1969
- Blue Cloth Hardback, 468 pp
- Original illustrations by Anthony Colbert
- Size 205 x 125mm, 700g
- ISBN 0 86225 037 4
Condition: Very Good – No Inscriptions, Very Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – “The books you want…from sellers you can trust”, www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund
HCBOOKSONLINE Love Books – Love My Website
If you require any further information please email me.