A Victorian Trilogy by Asa Briggs
Victorian Cities: "In 1837, in England and Wales, there were only five provincial cities of more than 100,000 inhabitants. By 1891 there were twenty-three. Over the same period London's population more than doubled. In this companion volume to "Victorian People and Victorian Things", Lord Briggs focuses on the cities of Manchester, Leeds, Birmingham, Middlesbrough, Melbourne (an example of a Victorian community overseas) and London, comparing and contrasting their social, political and topographical development. Full of illuminating detail, "Victorian Cities" presents a unique social, political and economic bird's-eye view of the past."
Victorian People: "Looks at the people, ideas and events between the Great Exhibition of 1851 and the Second Reform Act of 1867. From "John Arthur Roebuck and the Crimean War", and "Samuel Smiles and the Gospel of Work" to "Thomas Hughes and the Public Schools" and "Benjamin Disraeli and the Leap in the Dark", Asa Briggs provides an assessment of Victorian achievements; and in doing so conjures up an enviable picture of the progress and independence of the last century"
Victorian Things: "The third volume of a trilogy presenting a study of Victorian objects. This study features patented inventions, medicines, hats and other headgear, postage stamps, telephones and typewriters, spectacles and cameras, exhibitions and museums, matches and furnishings."
- Folio Society First Impression No. 860
- Publisher Folio Society, London; 1996
- Maroon Cloth Hardback, 406, 261, 330 pp
- With Colour & B/W Photographs & Illustrations
- Size 260 x 175mm, 3.9kg
Condition: Brand New – Still In Original Cellophane Wrap
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – "The books you want…from sellers you can trust", www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed – If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund