The Cambridge Shakespeare edited by William Aldis Wright
Stunning Complete 9 Volume Half-Leather Edition of the Cambridge Shakespeare.
Published in nine volumes between 1863 and 1893, the Cambridge Shakespeare's careful editorial principles, attractive page design and elegant typography have withstood the test of time. This text was based on a thorough collation of the four Folios and of all the Quarto editions of the separate plays, the base text being the 1623 Folio. The critical apparatus appears at the foot of the page, but for passages where the Quarto differs significantly the entire Quarto text appears in small type after the received text. Notes at the end of each play explain variants, emendations, and passages of unusual difficulty or interest. Grammar and metre were generally left unchanged by the editors, but punctuation was normalised and nineteenth-century orthography was adopted instead of the variable Elizabethan spelling. In a bold move for a Victorian edition, the editors restored various 'profane' expressions where metre or sense demanded it. This Complete Works contains all the plays, poems and sonnets.
- Publisher Macmillan, London;1891-1893
- Half Leather Covers with Marbled Boards and Endpapers, Black Silk Bookmarks
- Size 230 x 160mm, 11kg (42x32x24)
Condition: Very Good – No Dust Jackets, Light Rubbing To Edges, Light Foxing to Endpapers, Many Uncut Pages, Owners Bookplate, No Inscriptions, Very Good Set
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Top Quality Books – I always try to source the best to ensure you keep coming back to me.
- Superfast Delivery – I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging – I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA – "The books you want…from sellers you can trust", www.ioba.org