Charles Dickens Centennial Edition c.1970
The Complete Works of Charles Dickens The Centennial Edition
Published by Heron Books in 1970 to celebrate 100 years after the death of Dickens, this was a superb complete set of Charles Dickens Works. This set came in three editions, namely the Standard Green Faux Morocco Leather Edition, the De-Luxe Burgundy Soft Faux Calf Leather Edition and the Quarter Brown/Burgundy Full Leather Edition with Gilt Portrait and Dickens Signature To Front Cover.
The novels were illustrated by a mixture of the brilliant work of the original illustrators – Phiz, Tenniel, Cruikshank etc. and some modern contemporary illustrators.
This set was primarily sold by Mail Order Subscription with back copies always available. Each Novel Came With A Novel Summary giving a Short Introduction And Providing A Short Summary Of The Novel
This Classic Set Comprised Of The Following 36 Volumes;
- A Child’s History of England
- A Tale of Two Cities
- American Notes/ Pictures from Italy
- Barnaby Rudge I
- Barnaby Rudge II
- Bleak House I
- Bleak House II
- Christmas Books
- Christmas Stories I
- Christmas Stories II
- David Copperfield I
- David Copperfield II
- Dombey & Son I
- Dombey & Son II
- Great Expectations
- Hard Times
- Little Dorrit I
- Little Dorrit II
- Martin Chuzzlewit I
- Martin Chuzzlewit II
- Miscellaneous Papers I
- Miscellaneous Papers II
- Nicholas Nickleby I
- Nicholas Nickleby II
- Oliver Twist
- Our Mutual Friend I
- Our Mutual Friend II
- Pickwick Papers I
- Pickwick Papers II
- Reprinted Pieces
- Sketches by Boz I
- Sketches by Boz II
- The Mystery of Edwin Drood/Master Humphrey’s Clock
- The Old Curiosity Shop I
- The Old Curiosity Shop II
- The Uncommercial Traveller
- Publisher Heron Books, London; 1970
- Standard Set – Green Kidron (Faux Morocco Leather), Decorative Board And Spine, With Title In Gilt Lettering, Gilt Design On Front Board And Yellow Ribbon Marker.
- De-Luxe Set – Burgundy Faux Soft Calf Leather, Gilt Page Tops, Decorative Board And Spine, With Title In Gilt Lettering, Gilt Design On Front Board And Red Silk Ribbon Marker.
- Export Set? – Quarter Full Brown/Burgundy Leather with Gilt Portrait and Dickens Signature To Front Cover, Full Gilt Page Edges, Yellow Ribbon Marker.
- Superbly Illustrated Throughout
- Individual Book Size 210 x130mm
Specific Points to Look Out For When Buying This Set;
- The covers on the Green Faux Leather Edition can dry out giving a tendency to split the cover at the external folds near the spine, you may also find losses at the edges where the Kidron has gone brittle.
- It is fairly common to find loss of Gilding to the Titles, this has two known causes, 1) Fading by Sunlight, 2) Fading by Poor Cleaning as the Gilt can Rub Off
Browse Dickens Heron Books at Heron Dickens Books
If you are missing any volume from either of these sets then it is always worth while sending me an email of your requirements as I do have many duplicate individual copies which may not always be listed.
If you have a Set or Part Set For Sale, why not email me at; email@example.com