/American Notes and Pictures From Italy Charles Dickens Heron Books c1970
American Notes and Pictures From Italy by Charles Dickens
Charles Dickens's 1842 trip to America was in some ways a disaster. Dickens was fascinated by the still-evolving American experiment in democracy, and expected his own egalitarian views to be confirmed by his travels there. Instead, what he found repelled him: coarseness, filth, uncomfortable travel, hot and humid weather, a disappointing governmental system, and--worst of all--the institution of slavery. The resulting book about his travels was frankly critical, and it cost him many admirers in America, where he had been as much of an idol as he was in England. American Notes, however, from the perspective of over a century and a half, is a vastly entertaining and informative book, full of Dickens's characteristic humour, descriptive powers, and keen eye for human frailty.
In 1844, Charles Dickens took a break from novels to travel in Italy for almost a year. This thrilling travelogue is the result of his encounters with Italy's colorful street life, the visible signs of its richly textured past, and its urban desolation. Dickens was particularly drawn to the costumes, cross-dressing, and sheer exuberant energy of the Roman carnival. Avoiding the traditional tourist sites, Pictures from Italy reveals the anxieties and concerns of its author.
- Heron Centennial Edition
- Publisher Heron Books, London; Undated c.1970
- Green Faux Leather Hardback with Gilt Titles and Decoration, Silk Ribbon, 521pp
- Illustrations by Maurice Greiffenhagen
- Size 205 x 125mm, 750g
Condition: Good - No Dust Jacket, No Inscriptions, Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery - I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging - I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA - "The books you want...from sellers you can trust", www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed - If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund