Charles Dickens Centennial Edition c.1970

The Complete Works of Charles Dickens The Centennial Edition

Published by Heron Books in 1970 to celebrate 100 years after the death of Dickens, this was a superb complete set of Charles Dickens Works. This set came in three editions, namely the Standard Green Faux Morocco Leather Edition, the De-Luxe Burgundy Soft Faux Calf Leather Edition and the Quarter Brown/Burgundy Full Leather Edition with Gilt Portrait and Dickens Signature To Front Cover.

The novels were illustrated by a mixture of the brilliant work of the original illustrators – Phiz, Tenniel, Cruikshank etc. and some modern contemporary illustrators.

This set was primarily sold by Mail Order Subscription with back copies always available. Each Novel Came With A Novel Summary giving a Short Introduction And Providing A Short Summary Of The Novel

This Classic Set Comprised Of The Following 36 Volumes;

• The Mystery of Edwin Drood/Master Humphrey’s Clock
  • The Old Curiosity Shop I
  • The Old Curiosity Shop II
  • The Uncommercial Traveller

Features;

• Publisher Heron Books, London; 1970
  • Standard Set – Green Kidron (Faux Morocco Leather), Decorative Board And Spine, With Title In Gilt Lettering, Gilt Design On Front Board And Yellow Ribbon Marker.
  • De-Luxe Set – Burgundy Faux Soft Calf Leather, Gilt Page Tops, Decorative Board And Spine, With Title In Gilt Lettering, Gilt Design On Front Board And Red Silk Ribbon Marker.
  • Export Set? – Quarter Full Brown/Burgundy Leather with Gilt Portrait and Dickens Signature To Front Cover, Full Gilt Page Edges, Yellow Ribbon Marker.
  • Superbly Illustrated Throughout
  • Individual Book Size 210 x130mm

Export Edition?

Specific Points to Look Out For When Buying This Set;

• The covers on the Green Faux Leather Edition can dry out giving a tendency to split the cover at the external folds near the spine, you may also find losses at the edges where the Kidron has gone brittle.
  • It is fairly common to find loss of Gilding to the Titles, this has two known causes, 1) Fading by Sunlight, 2) Fading by Poor Cleaning as the Gilt can Rub Off

Browse Dickens Heron Books at Heron Dickens Books

If you are missing any volume from either of these sets then it is always worth while sending me an email of your requirements as I do have many duplicate individual copies which may not always be listed.

If you have a Set or Part Set For Sale, why not email me at; sales@hcbooksonline.com

39 Responses to “Charles Dickens Centennial Edition c.1970”

1. admin October 17, 2016 at 11:06 am #

Sorry, I am unable to give a valuation without actually seeing the books. There is no huge value in this book club collection.

2. Phil Poole October 17, 2016 at 10:09 am #

Hi,

I have the complete set in burgundy/red they are in immaculate condition! I just wondered if you could give me a valuation? Not looking to sell as it was past down by my nan.

Many thanks in advance for your help!
    Kind regards

Phil

3. admin September 17, 2016 at 11:47 am #

Hi Thanks for your enquiry, I have sent you a reply by email

4. Katie Wicking September 17, 2016 at 10:47 am #

Hi, I have all 36 of the complete works of Charles Dickens in the green leather cover. Would anyone know a rough value as interested in selling. Many thanks

5. admin February 28, 2016 at 7:55 am #

Hi Thanks for your enquiry, I have sent you a reply by email

6. Jerry February 26, 2016 at 12:38 pm #

I just received a beautiful set of the Green Faux Morocco Leather Edition. Looking to sell. Missing Miscellaneous Papers I, Miscellaneous Papers II. Email me at ppfrcnj AT gmail.com if you are interested. Taking offers.

7. admin February 21, 2016 at 8:00 am #

Hi Thanks for your enquiry, I have sent you a full reply by email

8. Mike Matthews February 18, 2016 at 6:51 pm #

I think i have 3 of export edition of these books, they have no date at all, ISBN, any value in them. I see a lot of the green ones for sale, but none of the red versions.

9. admin January 6, 2016 at 6:19 am #

There is little value in these books individualy.

10. Teckla Greeme December 10, 2015 at 11:44 am #

I have three books of Charles Dickens Centennial Edition
    Two of the books are Complete Works and one is David
    Copperfield.

The books are in excellent condition…green faux leather.

I am interested in knowing the value, if any, should I decide
    to sell them.

Thank you.

11. admin October 17, 2015 at 11:22 am #

I can offer you 17 of the missing volumes for £102 plus £45 shipping to Canada. Full details sent by separate email.

12. Matthew McIsaac October 15, 2015 at 3:18 pm #

Your above list of 36 titles refers; it is aspire to list the 16 volumes that I have, so you can tell me how much the remaining titles I am missing, would cost me. I have, and want Standard Green.

American Notes / Pictures from Italy
    A tale of two cities
    Christmas Stories, I and II
    David copperfi elf, I and II
    Edwin Drood / Master humphreys
    Great exp citations
    Nicholas nickleby I and II
    Old curiosity shop I and II
    Oliver Twist
    Sketches by box I
    Pic kick papers I and II

So, I have 16 but need 20 more. Please excuse auto correction of tablet, butchering the spelling. Thanks for your time! Cost of books, plus shipping, etcetra, to Alberta, Canada, please.

Matt McIsaac
    780-739-1234 phone

13. Magda Venter August 12, 2015 at 9:36 am #

I have the complete set in Standard Green Faux Morocco Leather Edition and would like to know if you can tell me what it is worth or how much you will give me for it. I don’t have it on internet as yet. Was a difficult disicion to sell. you can contact me on magda.venter@fedex.com or M.venter@fedex.supaswift.co.za also as I don’t have data for my gmail at the moment or phone me on 081 029 0597.

Kind Regards,
    Magda

14. Andrea Hunt January 31, 2015 at 1:07 pm #

Hi, I have 32 off Charles Dickens complete works published by Heron books and 12 off Thomas Hardy books I would like to sell. Is this something you would be interested in buying? Regards, Andrea

15. admin November 13, 2014 at 7:21 am #

I am currently only purchasing complete collections. If you let me know which ones are missing I can give you a quote.

16. Paul crook November 9, 2014 at 2:21 pm #

Hello, I have just come across your website while looking up on the complete works of Charles dickens.
    I have got 33 books of this collection and wondered if you would be interested in buying them or if you could make my collection up to the 36 books then I could sell them on eBay
    Regards
    Paul crook

17. admin October 19, 2014 at 6:13 am #

It is almost impossible to value a set of books without actually seeing them, as a very rough guide check the internet for a similar copy in similar condition, but be warned some internet copies may be grossly over priced.

18. Anne Oliver October 19, 2014 at 6:07 am #

I have a collection of 16 Dickens bought as a set, printed 1961- I think the cover is faux leather and very reasonable condition. Can you give me a rough idea of the value please?
    many thanks

19. admin October 2, 2014 at 5:42 am #

Sadly the bottom has currently fallen out of the market for this particular edition.

20. Penny Brady August 22, 2014 at 4:42 am #

Full set of Charles Dickens Centennial Edition by Heron Books to sell

21. admin June 3, 2014 at 10:29 am #

I have replied by email

22. admin June 3, 2014 at 10:24 am #

Many thanks for your enquiry re. Little Dorritt II in the Centennial Edition.
    Can you let me know which cover you are looking for eg. Green or Red/Maroon

23. MIchael Clarke May 29, 2014 at 4:41 pm #

We are looking for Little Dorritt II in the Centennial Edition. Is this an example of one of your spares which we could purchase?

Many thanks

24. Neil Atkinson May 22, 2014 at 12:22 pm #

I have been given a number of Heron collections to sell for a charity, all in excellent condition. Would you be interested? If so indicate a price and a suggested method of despatch/collection from N Wales. I will happily give more information.
    Please note email address will change in 1-2 weeks. Will update if your reply positive.
    Thanks.
    1. Women who made history (9 vol,)
    2. Literary Heritage (18)
    3. Complete Dickens (Centennial – Green) (36)
    4. (Works of literature – series title not known) (12)
    5. Poets of the English Language (5)
    6. Men of Destiny (4)
    7. 100 great thinkers (2)
    8. Books that have changed Man’s thinking (2)
    Plus various singles.

25. Eric Michael Rowley March 1, 2014 at 10:41 am #

I have a set of Heron Books’ Charles Dickens Works which is complete save for Miscellaneous Papers Vol. 1 and 2. They are in excellent condition generally but some books show fading of gilt titles on spines. One book is quite badly faded and four slightly faded, I imagine, by sunlight.
    They form part of the Centennial Edition and were purchased by monthly subscription and are bound in green faux leather. Some volumes show brown stains on exposed page ends but Kidron covers and face boards and edges are all perfect and gilding is bright except on several volume spines as mentioned above.
    I wish to dispose of them as my family are no longer interested in keeping them. I would be grateful for your advice in selling them
    Michael Rowley

26. admin October 11, 2013 at 12:24 am #

I have sent you a reply by email

27. Stan October 10, 2013 at 9:25 pm #

I have a set of the Dickens. Is there any value? I may wish to rid myself of these books.

28. admin September 29, 2013 at 8:48 am #

Many thanks for your enquiry, this item is for sale on my website; http://www.hcbooksonline.com/browse-all/the-old-curiosity-shop-charles-dickens-heron-books-1970/prod_6846.html

29. barry rooke September 29, 2013 at 7:54 am #

hallo,
    i am searching for Charles Dickens Centennial Edition c:1970 in Standard Green Faux Leather (Heron Books)
    I am interested in The Old Curiosity Shop 1+2…

Thankyou for your attention to my enquiry

Barry Rooke

30. admin August 15, 2013 at 9:37 am #

I have emailed you my reply.

31. Jennifer Tate August 15, 2013 at 9:20 am #

I have the complete works of centennial edition of Charles Dickens I am thinking about selling. Please email for more information.
    Thanks

32. admin July 28, 2013 at 4:33 pm #

Many thanks for your enquiry, I have replied by email

33. Stanley carrothers July 28, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

I have 23 volumes of Dickens centenial edition and am interested in selling them.
    Perhaps you would be interested and let me know a price.
    Thanks

34. admin April 29, 2013 at 11:24 am #

The best way to contact me is to email me at sales@hcbooksonline.com

35. Tony McAndrew April 29, 2013 at 11:16 am #

Good afternoon, I have a 36 set Charles Dickens The Centennial Editions. And I am looking for somebody to sell them too. There in amazing condition they were an unwanted gift. I would like you to get back to me on 07954426649 or the email.

Many Thanks

Tony McAndrew

36. admin March 22, 2013 at 1:34 am #

Sadly shipping from Australia would not make this a viable purchase.

37. Sally Cook March 21, 2013 at 11:35 pm #

I have a complete set of Charles Dickens They are the faux green leather Centennial Edition by Heron Books. They are in immaculate as new condition some have not been opened or read!Leather is in perfect ciondition as is the embossing

38. admin March 5, 2013 at 12:54 pm #

No problem meeting your requirements, please advise which colour cover you require, the two most known options are the green and the red/burgundy colours.

39. Barb Quickfall March 5, 2013 at 11:57 am #

I am looking for 8 books to complete my son’s set of this collection- Nicholas Nickoby I & II, A Tale of Two Cities, Oliver Twisty, Pickwick Papers I & II, and David Copperfield I & II