The Charles Dickens Library Edition
Published by The Educational Book Company in 1910 to celebrate 100 years after the birth of Dickens (The Centennial was actually in 1912), this was a superb complete set of Charles Dickens Works.
The set was complete in 18 volumes with 1200 illustrations, including five hundred special plates drawn expressly for this edition by Harry Furniss.
Dickens just doesn’t seem right without the characteristic Victorian illustrations, and when it come to illustrations this is the set with the most and the best. This set uniquely contained a special volume dedicated to Dickens illustrations, it also includes The Dickens Companion which contains Dickens In Anecdote and Criticism; Guide To The Novels; Chronology; & Bibliography
This Superb Set Comprised Of The Following Volumes;
- 1. Sketches by Boz,
- 2. Pickwick Papers,
- 3. Oliver Twist,
- 4. Nicholas Nickleby,
- 5. Old Curiosity Shop & Hard Times,
- 6. Barnaby Rudge & Master Humphrey’s Clock,
- 7. Martin Chuzzlewit,
- 8. Christmas Books etc ,
- 9. Dombey and Son,
- 10. David Copperfield.
- 11. Bleak House,
- 12. Little Dorrit,
- 13. A Tale of Two Cities,
- 14. Great Expectations & Reprinted Pieces,
- 15. Our Mutual Friend,
- 16. Christmas Stories, Christmas Memories
- 17. The Dickens Picture Book – With chapters on Dickens illustrators and 600 illustrations
- 18. The Dickens Companion – A Book of Anecdote and Reference
- Publisher The Educational Book Company Ltd., London; 1910
- Standard Set – Blue Cloth Covers, Decoration To Spine, With Title In Gilt Lettering, Gilt Design On Front Board with CD initials, And Blue Page Tops.
- Testimonial Set – As Above but with Gilt Page Tops
- Superbly Illustrated Throughout
- Individual Book Size 190 x130mm
Specific Points to Look Out For When Buying This Set;
- It is fairly common to find fading to the Gilding to the Titles.
- These are quite thick books so always check the hinges for straining or cracking
Browse More Dickens’ Sets at Charles Dickens Sets