/The Ruin Of Sir Walter Scott Eric Quayle Hart-Davis 1968
The Ruin Of Sir Walter Scott by Eric Quayle
In his day Sir Walter Scott was accorded a reverence that very few writers have ever enjoyed during their lifetime. Even by present standards he was a best-seller, and his claim to a place in the literary pantheon has never been disputed. After his death Lockhart wrote the standard biography of his father-in-law which set the seal of integrity and untarnished respectability on the portrait of Scott. Eric Quayle’s research into the Ballantyne family papers has led him to question this picture, and to challenge Lockhart’s veracity as a biographer. On various occasions he is shown to have juggled facts to Scott’s advantage and when financial disaster overcame Scott and his business associates in 1826 Lockhart sought to exonerate the author from all blame. He set up as chief scapegoats the Ballantyne brothers, who between them filled the roles of Scott’s copy editor, printer and literary agent, and had also been his life-long friends. This book sets out to show how completely Scott was the architect of not only his own ruin, but also that of the printers and publishers whose fortunes were inextricably, and sometimes secretly, bound up with his own. It is a story of the delusion of grandeur and financial irresponsibility behind the creation of the Laird of Abbotsford, and of the financial bubble which the combined efforts of Scott, the Ballantynes and Constable, his publisher, were unable to keep afloat. In tracing the ruin of Scott, the author paints a broad background canvas to the age which saw the defeat of Napoleon.
- Publisher Rupert Hart-Davis Ltd., London; 1968
- Blue Cloth Hardback, 290 pp
- With 12 B/W Illustrations
- Size 230 x 145mm, 650g
- SBN 246 97456 7
Condition: Very Good – Very Good Unclipped Dust Jacket, Small Owners Signature, No Further Inscriptions, Very Good Copy
5 Good Reasons To BUY NOW !!!
- FREE UK Delivery, Overseas Postage at Reduced Rate
- Superfast Delivery - I always try to post within 24 hrs of payment to ensure you get your book(s) as quickly as possible.
- Professional Packaging - I always use Top Quality packaging products to ensure you receive your item in the condition it was sent.
- Member of IOBA - "The books you want...from sellers you can trust", www.ioba.org
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed - If you are not 100% satisfied with your book then simply return it for a refund